If the Excellence in Journalism Conference had a survival bag, it would be the EIJ16 App. The app is packed with resources including a conference schedule, a list of speakers, and an interactive map. It is available for iOS, Android and HTML users. Here are some quick tips:
- Activity feed
- Speaker list
When you start the app using your email account, it will open to the activity feed. This functions like most other social media platforms. Scroll up and down to view posts that are sorted by their posted time.
- To like somebody’s post, tap the smile icon on the bottom left portion of the post. The icon should change from a smiley face to very smiley face.
- To post your own content, tap the circle with the pen and paper icon, at the bottom right portion of the feed.
- Add photos, videos, or links to your own social media.
- Tap the paper airplane in the top corner when you’re ready, and the post will go directly to the feed. This function is for anyone with the app, so feel free to share your stories with all of EIJ.
When the app opens and the activity feed is on the screen, tap the three bars at the top left corner of the page. A menu should scroll out, and you can view every scheduled event by clicking “schedule.” The schedule list will be sorted by date, which can be seen at the top of the screen, and by subject, which is identified by the color to the left of the event name.
- Swipe left or right to see what is scheduled for each day, and no matter where you are, clicking on the circle with the arrow at the bottom left of the screen will return you to the current date.
- To filter the schedule to see events centered around topics that interest you, press the icon that looks like three vertical lines with three small squares.
- On each list, you have the option of saving scheduled events to your agenda by tapping the picture of the calendar with the plus sign. When the scheduled event is starting, you will receive a notification alerting you then session will begin in 10 minutes.
- Check items you have saved to your agenda by tapping “my agenda” and scrolling through the checked boxes. The agenda page will also display some suggested events based on what you have saved so far.
When the app opens and the activity feed is on the screen, tap the three bars at the top left corner of the page, and then tap “speakers,” which has an icon that looks like a microphone. The list of speakers should appear in alphabetic order.
- Scroll up or down to view each speaker. To view a profile, simply tap on the speaker’s name. The page should open up to a bio.
- Below the bio, you can rate the speaker and write a review on his or her subject or performance.
- Tap the word “sessions” below the speakers’ names to find out their topics.
- The app even lets you add this speaker’s events directly to your agenda.
- To contact the speaker, tap the “connect” button to the right of the “sessions” button. You may connect with the speaker through the app by direct message or through social media if the speaker has opted to connect his/her accounts.
When the app opens and the activity feed is on the screen, tap the three bars at the top left corner of the page. A menu should scroll out, and you can view a map of the rooms being used for the conference by clicking on the map icon. It should open on the J-Expo and career fair, which is hosted in the Napoleon Ballroom.
- To get a better view of the image, zoom in by touching the screen with two fingers and spreading them apart. As you zoom in, small, numbered boxes will appear over larger boxes that map out the room.
- To move the image, drag one finger across the screen.
- Tap the numbers to see where each organization is located. Each organization will have a short bio and a rate and review section under its name.
- To change the room or floor, tap the small drop-down arrow on the top right corner of the screen. A menu will appear that lists all of the floors associated with the conference. Select the floor you want to find the location of your event.